12 Healthy Food Recipes You Can Try at Home
Many people still think that healthy food is tasteless, bland and it usually consists of raw vegetables and fruits. But what if we tell you that healthy food is more than that?
Eating healthily means that you are replacing food that contain added sugar, salt and trans fat with the one that has more nutrients and is good for your body and health.
In this article, you will learn more about the benefits of consuming healthy food and how you can make it yourself at the comfort of your home from scratch.
What Is Healthy Food?
Healthy food contains nutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals. The nutrients will give you the energy you need while maintaining your health.
To have a strong and healthy body, the amount of nutrients you consume every day is very prominent.
Hence, it is crucial to incorporate a balanced meal in your diet to make sure that your body is getting the necessary nutrients it needs to function well.
Not only that, the type of food you consume will affect your mood and immune system as well.
Aside from that, you can avoid being overweight by incorporating healthy eating in your lifestyle. This is because being overweight has a high risk of getting cancer as well as other diseases.
However, not all food can be counted as healthy food. Processed food and sweetened beverages are the type of food you want to avoid to live healthily.
Consider eating more plant-based and animal-based food, as well as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Therefore, you should remember that healthy eating requires you to be mindful of what you eat or drink daily and the way you prepare the food.
Benefits of Eating Healthy Food?
Eating healthy is not just about losing weight and dieting, but it is about feeling better both physically and mentally.
There are a lot of good reasons for you to continue eating healthily. Here are some of the reasons why:
● Blood Sugar Control
Food that contains high amounts of sugar such as ice-cream, juices, white bread and soda can lead to a spike in your blood sugar.
Even though our body can handle the influxes of glucose, it can also lead to insulin resistance and cause type 2 diabetes if it is consumed frequently.
Therefore, opt for more complex carbohydrates that can help you to regulate the blood sugar in the body by slowly releasing the sugar into the bloodstream.
Some examples of complex carbohydrates are whole grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice and more.
● Weight Loss
One of the main reasons people choose to eat healthily is that they want to lose or maintain their weight.
Eating within your required calorie range is vital for you to achieve your desired goals.
Therefore, use fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains to replace high-fat, high-calorie food. It will help fill you up faster and keep you full longer than unhealthy food.
● Strong Bones and Teeth
Moreover, by incorporating a healthy diet in your life, your teeth and bones will become stronger and can prevent osteoporosis and teeth decay in the future.
● Better Mood and Energy Levels
Have you ever heard of the phrase “you are what you eat”? The food you consume has the power to control your mood and energy.
If you consume healthy food properly, your body will get the nutrients it needs to function well and improve your energy levels.
● Improved memory and brain health
Last but not least, a healthy diet can help you to improve your brain health and memory as it increases the blood flow to the brain.
It will prevent you from getting diseases such as dementia, cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s.
Moreover, eating healthy can also promote good mental health. You need to listen to your body and be mindful of what you eat to provide the body with what it needs.
12 Healthy Food Recipes You Can Try at Home
Some people may think that cooking healthy food is complicated and the cooking method is different than cooking your usual comfort food. Afraid not, we got your back covered!
If you are not familiar with healthy food recipes, here are some easy and simple healthy food recipes you can try at home.
- Tofu Veggie Stir-Fry
If you are a big fan of tofu, this recipe is made for you. It is simple to make and will leave you craving for more!
● 1 cup carrots, sliced or baby carrots cut lengthwise
● 1- 14 ounce extra firm tofu
● 1 tablespoon corn-starch
● 2 1/2 cups green beans, roughly chopped
● 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable, canola, coconut)
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 2 tablespoons water
● 1 tablespoon corn-starch
● 3 tablespoons brown sugar
● 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
● 3 tablespoons soy sauce
● 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
● 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
● 1 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
● 1 tablespoons sesame oil
● Tofu – Place a folded tea towel in the shape of the tofu on a plate and drain it from the package.
Next, place a tea towel on top of the tofu followed by another plate and 2-28 ounce cans or anything that weighs 2-3 pounds to help remove the water from the tofu.
Let the tofu dry for 15-20 minutes before cutting it up into cubes and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of corn-starch and ½ of a teaspoon of salt.
● Sauce – Prepare the sauce while waiting for the tofu to dry. Mix all the ingredients in the blender and blend it until it is completely smooth and set aside.
● Stir Fry – Add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat pan over a medium-high heat. Next, add the tofu to the pan and let fry for 3 minutes. Make sure to flip it until it turns brown.
Then, add 2 tablespoons of the prepared sauce and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the tofu to a plate once it is caramelized and add another tablespoon of oil to the pan.
Cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes and add the sauce. Let it slightly thicken before adding the tofu and cook for additional 1-2 minutes for the tofu to soak up the flavour.
● Serve – Best to serve with rice or quinoa.
- Thai Chicken Peanut Quinoa Bowls
This recipe is suitable for those who are in a calorie deficit as it replaces the rice with a better option which is the quinoa.
● 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
● 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped and divided
● 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
● 1 egg
● 2 green onions, chopped
● 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
● 1 cup coleslaw mix
● salt and pepper
● 1 large chicken breast, thinly sliced
● 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
● 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
Ingredients for Thai Peanut Sauce:
● 2 teaspoons gluten-free chili garlic sauce
● 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon peanut butter
● 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
● 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
● 2 tablespoons water
● 1/4 cup low-sodium gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
● Rinse the quinoa before adding it into a small saucepan along with the chicken broth. On low-heat, cook the quinoa until it has absorbed the chicken broth. Set aside.
● Mix the sauce ingredients together and microwave it for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth then set aside. Next, whisk together egg and sesame oil in a small bowl then set aside.
● Over high heat, heat 1 teaspoon of peanut oil in a wok. Season the chicken with salt and pepper then stir fry until well-cooked. Set aside.
● Heat the remaining peanut oil in the wok and add coleslaw mix, frozen edamame, and green onions. Stir fry it for 2-3 minutes until tender.
● Push the mixture to the sides of the wok, creating a clear space in the centre. Add whisked egg and sesame oil to the centre of wok then stir fry until soft scrambled.
● Add cooked chicken, quinoa, sauce, and half of the chopped peanuts to wok then toss to combine.
● Serve it with chopped peanuts.
- Lemon Thyme Chicken
Next recipe is super simple and flexible. Once you learn to apply it, you can use it for any chicken or even fish.
● 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
● juice from 1 lemon
● 5 minced garlic cloves
● 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
● 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
● zest from 1 lemon
● 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
● sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
● Heat your oven to 400 F. Season the chicken breast with sea salt and black pepper on both sides.
● Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish along with minced garlic, chicken stock, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme sprigs.
● Place in the oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through
● Serve with lemon wedges
- Shrimp Scampi
Calling out all the shrimp lovers out there! Shrimp scampi is one of the easiest dishes that you can make at home.
● 2 tablespoons butter
● 1 ¾ pounds large or extra-large shrimp, shelled
● ⅓ cup chopped parsley
● freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon
● freshly ground black pepper
● ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
● ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
● ½ cup dry white wine or broth
● 4 garlic cloves, minced
● 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
● cooked pasta or crusty bread
● Melt the butter with olive oil. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
● Add the wine or broth of your choice, salt, red pepper flakes and plenty of black pepper and bring to a simmer.
● Add the shrimp and sauté until they are slightly cooked. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
● Serve with pasta or crusty bread.
- Fish with Peas and Lettuce
This dish will only take 15 minutes to cook and prepare and you can cook this using the ingredients that are already available at your home.
● 140g boneless white fish fillet
● 1 tablespoon of reduced-fat crème fraiche
● 1 Little Gem lettuce, shredded
● 2 spring onions, thickly sliced
● handful frozen peas
● 1 tablespoon of olive oil
● Mix together the lettuce, spring onions and peas in a microwave-proof dish.
● Drizzle with olive oil and put fish fillet on top, add over crème fraiche, then season.
● Cover with cling film, then pierce film and microwave it on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes until the fish is cooked.
● Lift fish off the lettuce, and stir the lettuce and peas together.
● Spoon lettuce mix and sauce onto a plate, then put the fish on top.
- Crispy Baked Asian Salmon
Salmon is known for its good nutrients and how delicious it is. Here is one of the recipes on how you can eat your salmon.
● 4 salmon fillets
● fresh lime wedges, for squeezing
● 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
● 2 teaspoons sesame oil
● 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
● 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
● 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
● 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
● 1 garlic clove, micro planed or minced
● 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
● 1 tablespoon mirin
● 1 tablespoon soy sauce
● 1-1/2 tablespoons almond butter (could use peanut butter)
● salt and pepper
● Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
● Add almond butter, soy sauce or Tamari, mirin, lime juice, garlic, chili garlic sauce, and ground ginger in a small bowl and stir until it is smooth. Let it sit until it thickens.
● Add and stir panko bread crumbs or crushed Rice Chex, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and extra virgin olive oil in another small bowl.
● Pat salmon fillets dry with a paper towel then lightly season both sides with salt and pepper and place on the prepared baking sheet.
● Put the almond butter mixture on top of each salmon fillet then spread with the back of a spoon.
● Put a quarter of the panko bread crumb mixture on top of each fillet and bake it for 8-12 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown.
● Let rest for 3-4 minutes and serve it with fresh lime wedges for squeezing on top.
- Healthy Burrito Bowl
Burrito bowl is one of the best and easiest healthy foods you can make. Here is how you can make it.
● 1 teaspoon chicken broth
● 1/4 cup black beans
● pinch of cumin
● pinch of cayenne
● pinch of garlic powder
● 1/2 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
● 3 ounces precooked grilled chicken breast, sliced thin
● 2 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
● 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
● fresh cilantro, for garnish
● sliced green onions, for garnish
● Microwave black beans with chicken broth, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder on high heat for 30 to 45 seconds until heated.
● Add red cabbage to your bowl, and spoon the black beans on top. Layer sliced chicken, Greek yogurt, salsa, and cilantro and green onions, and ready to be served!
- Spinach Feta Frittata
Eating healthily does not mean you cannot eat cheese! Cheese is one of the healthiest foods that you can consume. But remember, moderation is key!
● 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
● 3 green onions, sliced thinly
● 3 small branches fresh oregano, chopped
● 3 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
● 8 eggs
● 1/2 cup milk
● 1 cup feta cheese
● 1 teaspoon minced garlic
● 3-4 pinches sea salt
● 8 turns of pepper mill
● Chop three green onions and the spinach into medium sized pieces.
● On a medium flame, heat the olive oil and toss the green onions and spinach.
● For about 5 minutes, cover and cook until the spinach is softened.
● Stir in 3-4 pinches of salt and fresh pepper mill.
● Add the minced garlic and cover it for another two minutes.
● Combine the eggs, milk, and the remainder of the pepper and sprinkle ½ the chopped oregano into the egg mixture.
● Pour the eggs over the spinach, add the feta, and top with the remaining oregano
● Reduce heat to low and cook until eggs are firm
● Ready to be served!
- Chicken with Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers
Here is another recipe that uses chicken breast and takes only about 20 minutes to prepare and cook!
● 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
● chopped chives or parsley
● splash of white wine or water
● handful of olives
● 2 table spoons of capers
● 1 chopped large ripe tomato
● 1 tablespoon of olive oil
● Split the chicken breast almost in half and open it out like a book. Bash with a rolling pin to flatten, coat it in with the seasoned flour.
● Heat the oil in a pan, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp, browned and cooked through.
● Boil the tomato, capers, olives and water using the same pan.
● When the tomatoes are starting to break down, spoon over the chicken and scatter with chopped herbs.
● Ready to be served!
10. Lighter Orange Beef and Broccoli
If you want to experience something different than the white meat, here is a recipe for the red meat.
● 1-1/2lb flank or sirloin steak cut very thin
● cooked rice, for serving
● 1 tablespoon grapeseed or vegetable oil
● 1/4 cup water
● 4 cups broccoli florets
● 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
● 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
● 3 cloves minced garlic
● 1 teaspoon sesame oil
● 2 teaspoons orange zest
● 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
● 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
● 1/2 cup orange juice
● 3/4 cup chicken broth
● 2 tablespoons corn-starch, divided
● 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free Tamari, divided
● Add 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce or Tamari and corn starch with the steak into a large zip lock bag.
● Seal then squishes to evenly coat and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 20 minutes
● Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce or Tamari and 1 Tablespoon corn starch with chicken broth.
● Add the orange juice, rice vinegar, sugar, orange zest, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red chili pepper flakes then set aside.
● Using high heat, add broccoli and water and stir fry it until crisp tender for about 3-4 minutes and set aside.
● Heat oil in wok then add half the marinated beef in one layer and leave it for about 30 seconds before flipping the slices and sauté until golden brown.
● Add the sauce to the wok then cook until thickened and reduced for about 5 minutes
● Add cooked beef and broccoli back into the wok
● Serve with cooked rice.
11. Salmon and Couscous
● 120 g salmon fillet, skin on, scaled, pin-boned, from sustainable sources extra virgin olive oil
● 1 tablespoon fat-free natural yoghurt
● ½ of a lemon
● a few sprigs of fresh coriander
● 2 ripe tomatoes
● 1 fresh red chilli
● 1 handful of asparagus
● 1 small courgette
● 75 g couscous
● Put the couscous into a bowl and soaked it with boiling water and leave it for about 10 minutes.
● Slice the courgette and the asparagus and deseed and finely chop the chilli.
● Chop the tomatoes and the coriander leaves.
● Slice the salmon into finger-sized strips and drizzle it with olive oil before seasoning it with pepper and a small pinch of sea salt.
● With a medium flame, heat the non-stick frying pan and fry the salmon and scatter over the courgette and chilli for 2 minutes.
● Stir the tomatoes, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of oil and the chopped coriander into the couscous, and sprinkle the salt and pepper.
● Remove the salmon strips to a plate and add the couscous in.
● Toss and mix together, then place the salmon strips on top of the couscous.
● Cover with a lid or some tin foil and place back on a high heat for 1 final minute until the fish is cooked
● Served with a spoon of yoghurt on top of the fish
12. Honey Balsamic Chicken Skillet
Last but not least is the recipe of the delicious honey balsamic chicken skillet. A great dinner recipe for you to enjoy with your partner.
● 2 chicken breasts, pounded thin then cut in half
● garlic salt
● 1/4 cup chicken broth
● 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
● 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
● 1 large sweet onion, cut in half then sliced
● 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
● Using a medium heat, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet
● Add onions then sauté until it turns to golden brown and caramelized for about 20 minutes.
● Add 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and stir to coat then push onions to outside edges of skillet.
● Turn heat up slightly then brush chicken breast halves with extra virgin olive oil and season both sides with garlic salt and pepper
● Add to the centre of skillet then sauté for 4-5 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the centre.
● Remove chicken and set aside.
● Using the same pan, add the remaining balsamic vinegar, honey and chicken broth.
● Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
● Served with rice or any noodles of your choice.
In conclusion, there are a lot of positive effects and health benefits that you can get once you start incorporating healthy food in your life.
Not only that, healthy eating does not mean you need to leave all your favourite food behind. Consume it in moderation and focus more on food that gives you the nutrients.
There are many recipes out there that you can try. However, if you do not have the privilege to cook due to the time constraints, you need to try the heavenly dishes from The Purple Sesame café.
The Purple Sesame cafe serves you food made with the freshest and healthiest ingredients and a series of creative drinks.
Located in NU Sentral and Sunway Putra Mall, The Purple Sesame cafe has the best variety of food, from salads, pasta and rice bowls!
It offers a fun and simple way for you to enjoy a delicious and affordable meal and you are empowered to create your own meal to your preference.
You can choose and try a variety of carbohydrates, sauces and proteins out and you are free to try as many as variations of the dishes you love.
The Purple Sesame café provides online order and delivery service.
Besides, if you are having a house party, corporate event or corporate working lunch at your office and have not found a food caterer yet, The Purple Sesame cafe is a perfect choice.
The Purple Sesame cafe aims to give back to society by donating RM1 per drink purchased by every customer to charitable organizations or NGOs of their choices.
Not only that, The Purple Sesame cafe offers a loyalty program with freebies, points for redemption, birthday surprises to their members.
Join Our Loyalty Program